GRANTMAKERS of Oregon and Southwest Washington is a community of funders working to strengthen and expand philanthropy and improve the vitality and health of our communities. The organization is a resource for funders, an advocate for ethical and responsible charitable giving and a catalyst for effective philanthropy.
To promote effective philanthropy in Oregon and southwest Washington by providing our members with the services and support they need to succeed.
PREMISES THAT GUIDE US…
- We believe philanthropy can play an important role in creating a just and equitable region.
- We believe everyone has the ability to contribute to the common good.
- We believe even small investments can have a big impact.
- We believe effective philanthropy comes from strong partnerships with communities and nonprofits.
- We believe informed and collaborative philanthropy is more effective. We believe in the power of local knowledge to inform philanthropy.
- We believe philanthropy is a major contributor to the health of our communities.
THE IMPACT WE INTEND…
- Delivering equitable and inclusive philanthropy.
- Grantmaking in tune with the unique and diverse assets and needs of all our communities.
- Strengthening the culture of giving in our region.
- Improving the ability of philanthropy and our nonprofit partners to achieve results.
- Connecting and coordinating the philanthropic, nonprofit and government sectors to improve communities.
A philanthropic community that enables all people of our region to reach their full potential.
OUR COMMITMENT TO EQUITY
GRANTMAKERS’ Equity Statement
Now more than ever, our futures depend on equity and inclusion. GRANTMAKERS of Oregon and Southwest Washington‘s board of directors, staff, and members strive to create a society in which all people can participate, prosper, and reach their full potential. We seek to learn about systemic barriers to individual success and community prosperity, and we support the elimination of such barriers to ensure that everyone has equitable access to the resources needed to thrive.
As such, GRANTMAKERS of Oregon and Southwest Washington is committed to:
- Using an equity lens in the planning and execution of all programs, conferences, gatherings, and services;
- Providing a space and the best possible tools for funders to learn about diversity, equity, and inclusion, and how to dismantle the pervasive, systemic institutional racism that perpetuates social inequities;
- Reflecting equity and inclusion in our operations, hiring practices, and when we select venues and vendors;
- Developing and maintaining a diverse board and staff who are representative of the people we serve;
- Establishing and maintaining authentic relationships with organizations and individuals serving marginalized communities;
- Supporting public policies that advance equity and promote a just society.
Becoming and remaining an organization that is committed to equity requires intention and openness to correction. We invite the respectful critiques of all voices in our community as we work toward an equitable and inclusive future.
The United Philanthropy Forum is a national network that facilitates effective philanthropy that strengthens communities and improves lives throughout the United States. Find your regional association at unitedphilforum.org
Grantmakers for Effective Organizations (GEO) is a diverse community of 500 grantmakers working to reshape the way philanthropy operates. We are committed to advancing smarter grantmaking practices that enable nonprofits to grow stronger and achieve better results. Learn more at geofunders.org
As the sector-wide network representing all Oregon nonprofits, the Nonprofit Association of Oregon (NAO) works across the state to strengthen and connect nonprofit leaders, organizations, and the sector as a whole. Learn more at nonproﬁtoregon.org