As a component of proposal due diligence on the front end or of grant evaluation on the back-end, reading and interpreting nonprofit financials is part of the work of grantmaking. This refresher course is designed to provide grantmakers with knowledge, skills, and comfort around effective analysis of organizational and programmatic financial information, including:
- Review of terminology and common financial statement formats
- Cash vs. accrual accounting
- Difference between Audited, Reviewed and Compiled financial statements
- Additional information found in the IRS Form 990 tax return
- Understanding an organization’s financial position (and true operating surplus/deficit) using the Activities Statement and Balance Sheet
- Key financial ratios to consider
- Understanding an organization’s true/full cost of business
Participants will also have the opportunity to provide input on course content as part of a pre-program survey.
This skill-building training will be led by Cheryl R. Olson, CPA, CGMA and Director of NFP Consulting at Clark Nuber PS and Rob Fleming, CPA and Senior Consultant at Clark Nuber PS.
921 SW Washington, Ste 150
Portland, OR 97205
Continental breakfast will be provided.
Current members must be logged in to our site in order to register. If you have not set up a username and password, you can do so at gosw.org/membership-registration.
Our programs are open to our members and to anyone who meets our membership criteria. If you are not currently a member but qualify and would like to attend, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for registration assistance.