Reading and interpreting nonprofit financials is part of the work of grantmaking–either as a component of proposal due diligence on the front end, or of grant evaluation on the back-end.
This refresher course is designed to provide grantmakers with knowledge, skills, and comfort around effective analysis of organizational and programmatic financial information, including:
- Review of terminology and common financial statement formats
- Cash vs. accrual accounting
- Difference between Audited, Reviewed and Compiled financial statements
- Additional information found in the IRS Form 990 tax return
- Understanding an organization’s financial position (and true operating surplus/deficit) using the Activities Statement and Balance Sheet
- Key financial ratios to consider
- Understanding an organization’s true/full cost of business
- Cheryl R. Olson, CPA, CGMA and Director of NFP Consulting at Clark Nuber PS
Members must be logged in to register. Log in here, or by clicking “For Members” in the navigation bar above. If you have not set up a username and password, you can do so at gosw.org/membership-registration.
Our programs are open to anyone who meets our membership criteria. If you are not currently a member but you qualify and would like to attend, please contact us at email@example.com for registration assistance.